After scanning through many thousands of Canada Geese over the last few months, I finally found something different!
I dropped by Little Lake at 1:30pm and was surprised to see a lone Horned Grebe off of "the point" in Little Lake Cemetery.
 |
| Horned Grebe |
There were also 57 Hooded Mergansers, 78 Ring-necked Duck, 5 American Wigeon and a Redhead among other things.
 |
| American Wigeon, Ring-necked Duck and friends |
There were also a pair of Merlins flying over the cemetery calling incessantly. At least three Iceland Gulls were loafing with the usual crowd of Ring-billeds and Herrings.
 |
| Iceland Gull |
Abby and I returned in the evening for a quick look through the remaining ducks. I scanned through a smallish flock of Canada Geese on the water and spotted one that was much smaller than the rest. After scrutinizing so many small Canada Geese, there was no mistaking an actual Cackling Goose.
 |
| Cackling Goose |
In other Peterborough news, many migrants are back in full force. Common Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds are becoming more common every day. The city is getting close to bursting with American Robins. During one of the warmer days last week I saw more than 50 gathered on a small patch of exposed grass.
I found another flock of Bohemian Waxwings on March 4th, this one a bit more substantial.
 |
| Bohemian Waxwings |
It can be funny how easy it is to find things when you stop looking for them.
In even more other news, I made it down to see the Cranberry Marsh "Oregon" Junco on February 28 2012. As I looked through a group of Dark-eyed Juncos I heard something behind me and turned to see the Oregon about six feet away on the path. If only it was always this easy!
 |
| The Cranberry Marsh "Oregon" |
It was a pretty good day. I made a bunch of stops and went as far as the Scarborough Bluffs to follow up a tip on an Eastern Screech Owl. At Lynde Shores Conservation Area I saw a Song Sparrow, Winter Wren and Red-bellied Woodpecker (and a flock of six White-throated Sparrows the following day.) In the late evening at Thickson Woods I saw a Northern Mockingbird and a Northern Harrier and heard the resident Great-horned Owl.
 |
| Eastern Screech Owl |
No comments:
Post a Comment