Saturday, 25 February 2012

Bohemians! Finally... Feb 24 2012

After a couple of failed attempts and a couple of flocks of Cedar Waxwings, I finally found some Bohemians. After driving through a likely area north of Lakefield and coming up short, I went straight through town where I spotted a nicely fruit-laden crabapple directly across from the Foodland entrance. I pulled over and a quick scan with the binos through the blizzard produced three Bohemian Waxwings.


Bohemian Waxwing

Mmmmmm! Crabapples!

First attempt


Still needs more work

A bit more mashing...

...and it's gone

I love these guys. At Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, I would be late for my 8:30am Chemistry labs because there would be Bohemian Waxwings in the crabapples right outside the windows in the Chemistry hall -- sometimes right on the window sills. Hard to resist stopping to look at them from 6" away!

And for comparison's sake, here is a shot of some Cedar Waxwings on Feb 16 2012.

Cedar Waxwings


On Feb 16, I also saw my first Peterborough area Sharp-shinned Hawk of the year (thanks, eBird.) It was a large female hunting American Goldfinches and others at the bird feeder. I saw a small male back on Dec 08 2011 that actually sat still for a minute. I really like this photo.

Sharp-shinned Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment