I did see an adult Northern Goshawk on consecutive days this week which was a nice surprise. The first time it flushed from the side of the road and was only in view long enough to call it a Goshawk. The following morning while brushing my teeth, the squirrels outside the bathroom window freaked out and ran for cover. Some movement caught my eye and I had enough time to grab the binos and have about a five second look at a perched adult Northern Goshawk about 100 feet away. This is only the second one that I've seen while living here. The other was an immature that was perched on top of the cage of my old Ringneck Dove. The dove was not impressed.
![]() |
| Northern Goshawk eyes exotic food |
Anyway, what a relief to be able to head out to Presqu'ile, even if it was just for half a day. I saw an American Kestrel on the way down, as well as a couple of Red-tailed Hawks.
I went down Bayshore Drive first to check out some of the feeders, as well as the ducks in the bay. Everything that would be expected was there including large numbers of Mute Swan, Redhead, Greater Scaup and a few Canvasback, Bufflehead and Common Goldeneye. The Greater White-fronted Goose hasn't been seen for a few days and wasn't mixed in with any of the distant Canada Geese that I scanned through.
![]() |
| Redhead |
The Northern Shrike that has been present for most of the winter at Calf Pasture can easily be seen from Bayshore Road. It was perched on a power line.
I stopped at 83 Bayshore to check out the multitude of feeders. There were House Finches, Dark-eyed Juncos, American Goldfinches, Black-capped Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, White-breasted Nuthatches and a Carolina Wren that has been around all winter.
![]() |
| Carolina Wren |
There was a flock of sixteen American Robins making alot of noise at the back of the yard. Some were even doing some half-hearted singing.
![]() |
| American Robin |
As I was watching a pair of Mourning Doves sitting in the feeder at 186 Bayshore, a Cooper's Hawk came out of nowhere and just missed them.
There was a Red Fox that I ran into a number of times throughout the day. It wasn't too concerned with people.
![]() |
| Red Fox |
At the lighthouse the wind was brisk. The big swells made picking up birds with the scope difficult. Despite the distance, a quick scan with binoculars revealed the male Barrow's Goldeneye that has been present since December. It was with a number of Common Goldeneye but easily distinguished at distance by the greater amount of black on the back. I finally scoped it and had a good look as it disappeared and reappeared behind swells while continuing to dive frequently.
I saw a group of deer near the calf pasture that were more confused by my car than scared.
![]() |
| White-tailed Deer |
Heading back toward the park entrance from the lighthouse, I spotted a Ruffed Grouse up in a tree. These guys aren't common in the park, this being the first one that I've seen.
![]() |
| Ruffed Grouse |
On the way out I stopped at Owen Point long enough to see a Snowy Owl. With the wind and snow blowing straight in off of the lake, it was unpleasant. I'm sure that there are still more out there.
I'll end off with a Bufflehead and a Mute Swan.








No comments:
Post a Comment